Recipe Of The Month | Shepherd's Pie
There are fewer dishes that inspire a more Autumnal feeling than a warming Shepherd’s pie! This recipe sources seasonal heather-fed lamb (check packaging for British logos to ensure it is locally produced, or even better head to your local butcher) and Maris Piper potatoes for the ultimate home-grown dish.
- 500g lean British lamb mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 50g peas
- 50g carrots, diced to pea size and cooked
- 2 large Maris Piper potatoes
- ½ litre lamb or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Worcestershire sauce
- Double cream
- 2 egg yolks
1. Sweat the chopped onion in a little vegetable oil until soft, then add the lamb mince and fry until browned.
2. Stir in the tomato puree and simmer for a further 5 minutes, then turn out into a colander to drain off the excess fat.
3. Put the mince into a fresh pan, add the stock and simmer for approximately 50 minutes, or until the mince is tender. Finish with salt, pepper and a splash of Worcestershire sauce to taste.
4. Cook the potatoes, drain and puree with a hand blender, finish with a little double cream and 2 egg yolks, salt and pepper.
5. Add the cooked diced carrot and peas to the lamb mince, put into an ovenproof dish, cover with the mashed potato and bake in a medium oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the potato has glazed. For a little extra indulgence, add a handful of grated Cheddar cheese sprinkled on top!